[mythtv-users] channel order experimentation

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 23:38:03 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 1:38 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>

>  On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 7:06 AM, scram69 <scram69 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  In the experiment I attempted, I changed the ATSC major and minor
>  >  numbers of the CBS HD channel from 0/0 to 5/1, which puts it just
>  >  below the SD channel in the EPG.  The xmltvid for the channel did not
>  >  change - it was still correct.  But I was unable to tune the channel.
>
>  you do not manually change the ATSC number !
>  only the channel names !

I guess that answers my question - to summarize, "sort by channel
number" is the default method for sorting channels in the program
guide; this method uses ATSC major/minor numbers; ATSC numbers are not
meant to be edited by the user; therefore, there is no way for the
user to adjust/modify the program guide channel order under the
default method.

>  >  Yes, I suppose I could change all 100+ channel names to something that
>  >  would alphabetically match my existing channel number ordering, but
>  >  aside from the fact that it would be terribly time consuming and I am
>  >  lazy, I am worried about making that many database edits and the
>  >  possibility of a random error disabling a channel that my wife is
>  >  expecting to record tonight...
>  if you're lazy, nothing much i can do...
>  in the mean time you can continue to destroy your installation !

I see the probability of destroying my installation as linearly
proportional to the number of changes I need to make to the channel
table in the database.  100+ manual changes = high probability.

If one were to choose database order as the channel sorting method, is
there a simple way to sort the channel table order globally by channel
number, then re-arrange the order of a few stray channels that are
missing the proper ATSC channel number?