[mythtv-users] OT - Life without MythTV

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Mon Feb 25 22:33:07 UTC 2008

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 05:01:57PM -0500, Bill Omer wrote:
> [ me ]
>> > But, if you need to be told how to work on HV, as with so many things,
>> > you shouldn't be inside the set.
>>
>> I had to ask how to compile a kernel at one time.  Also had to ask what
>> all these wires where for that were on my motherboard  :)    Just
>> because a person doesn't currently know the answer to a problem doesn't
>> mean they shouldn't try to figure it out.  Sure, some things need an
>> extra amount of caution expressed, such as my situation.
>
> Compiling kernels doesn't kill you.
>
> :-)
>
> I have, myself, taken a hit from a charged second anode in a 25" color
> set, in 1974.  I was.. 9?  It was... impressive.  I've never done it --
> nor worked on HV along -- since.

I agree - the usual service engineers stance of working with one hand in
pocket to prevent a circuit across the body just doesn't work very well
with EHT voltages.

I got hit by a faulty switch mode supply (one of the first circa 1970)
which caused the supply to output 36kV rather than 25kV. I'm told that the
arc from the static voltmeter that hit me could be heard across the
service bay and when I was picked up from 8 feet away, nobody was
surprised when I announced I only wanted to work on stereos thereafter and
not TV sets! I now know what a clap of thunder inside your head sounds
like (thats all I remember!)

Thats true to this day - never been inside a TV set or CRT monitor since...

--
Robin Gilks