[mythtv-users] Blu-Ray player? Myth capable?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Feb 25 17:46:37 UTC 2008

On Feb 25, 2008, at 10:26 AM, jedi at mishnet.org wrote:

>    The illegal part is distributing the player. More precisely, it's
> distributing the "encryption cracking" part. Some DVDs don't have this
> legal issue.

The "illegal" part is circumventing the copy protection feature.
Distributing software that can do that is less clear IMHO, the
difference between free speech and distributing "illegal" software is
not obvious. For example, I believe distributing the source code for
DeCSS is different from distributing a binary, but this is not a legal
issues forum.

>    So when are they arresting the SlySoft guys?
>
>    DVD Jon has a US company. He should also be an obvious target.
>
>    Who's gotten sued or arrested for putting their DVDs on their ipod?

There does not have to be an arrest or a lawsuit for something to be
"illegal", or a violation of a license. The fact is that you agreed to
something when you purchased (or at least used, or maybe just opened)
a movie package, and technically you are bound by that agreement.

The truth is that nobody reads those licenses, and even the lawyers
who write then can't agree on what they mean. The situation is chaotic
as well as idiotic.

Personally I feel that as long as I am not distributing copies or
charging admission to view a disk I have "purchased" I am morally in
the right, but the MPAA attorneys do not agree with me.

I do not expect the FBI to come knocking on my door, at least not
because of my ripping DVDs, but that doesn't make it "legal".

I think it's topical to discuss how to implement BR playback into
Myth, but I'd stay away from discussions of precisely how to
accomplish that playback. Remember this list is archived and available
to anyone.

beww