[mythtv-users] Problem with Artec T14BR DVB-T USB Tuner

Risto Rossi risto.rossi at elisanet.fi
Mon Feb 25 16:38:30 UTC 2008

I recently bought an Artec T14BR DVB-T USB Tuner to add to my system
alongside two PVR-150s hooked up to my digital settop box. The idea was
to add over-the-air digital channels to my setup in addition to the
digital cable channels and an analog feed I get from the settop box
(this is Finland, by the way, if this makes a difference). I've been
using the PVR-150s for over a year, everything works fine but I needed
an extra tuner since analogue transmissions over cable are about to end
as well here and my old "one digital, one analogue" setup won't work for
more than a week anymore.

Anyway, I could use some help getting this card working in Myth. The
card, err, usb thing, works fine in Linux after I updated to the latest
video4linux drivers. Now dmesg shows it as:

--
[19761.471056] usb 7-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
address 17
[19761.604689] usb 7-5: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[19761.963300] dib0700: loaded with support for 6 different device-types
[19761.963589] dvb-usb: found a 'Artec T14BR DVB-T' in cold state, will
try to load a firmware
[19762.007730] dvb-usb: downloading firmware from file
'dvb-usb-dib0700-1.10.fw'
[19762.206210] dib0700: firmware started successfully.
[19762.709509] dvb-usb: found a 'Artec T14BR DVB-T' in warm state.
[19762.709551] dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to
the software demuxer.
[19762.709657] DVB: registering new adapter (Artec T14BR DVB-T)
[19762.943917] DVB: registering frontend 0 (DiBcom 7000PC)...
[19763.142916] DiB0070: successfully identified
[19763.142981] input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver
as /class/input/input12
[19763.143007] dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 150 msecs.
[19763.143012] dvb-usb: Artec T14BR DVB-T successfully initialized and
connected.
[19763.143676] usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_dib0700
---

...so that's all good. And what's even more important is that Kaffeine
will let me use the tuner just fine "out of the box". If I launch up
Kaffeine, it will show me the digital TV option and allow for scanning
channels, tuning them, play them fine etc...everything works as it
should, great picture etc...works good. I'm using an extra antenna on
it, crisp and nice picture.

Also, in mythtv-setup, the card seems to get recognized fine. Under
Capture Card Setup, I get:

Card type: DVB DTV capture card (v3.x)
DVB Card number: 0
Frontend ID: DiBcom 7000PC, Subtype: DVB-T

...and I've been able to add a Video Source and scan for channels and
actually find them. Proper names and all (YLE, MTV3...whatever, stuff
that should be there). The channels that get added do NOT, however, have
the second page for setting frequency information. So just "Channel Name
JIM", Number: 11...and that's it. Is this normal? Or should i be getting
the individual channel tuning frequencies for each channel as well?

Anyway, the main problem is that when I launch mythfrontend and look up
tuner information, the tuner is ALWAYS listed as unavailable. I can't
switch to it when watching live tv and it just does not seem to be
actually recognized by the frontend. So no picture or channels in the
frontend although everything would seem to be OK at the mythtv-setup.
The tuners are (for whatever reason) listed as tuners 8 (PVR-150), 9
(another PVR-150) and 11 (this USB thing). And 11 is always
"unavailable" when I look at it from the frontend. I've tried launching
the frontend with the -v options to see if there's anything useful
coming up, but I haven't seen anything. It's as if the tuner doesn't
exist.

I have phpMyAdmin installed so I can probably look up all sorts of nice
settings data from the database easily in case somebody tells me what
information about the tuner would help troubleshooting.

Thanks in advance, hopefully this can be made to work.

Risto