[mythtv-users] RANT: MythTV has a *horrible* end userexperience.

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Feb 25 15:40:20 UTC 2008

> On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 06:19:58AM -0800, Yan Seiner wrote:
>> I would never recommend Myth as an appliance; it needs pretty constant
>> feeding and care.
>
> Take notes.
>
> 	http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Why_MythTV_Sucks

Deletes seem more painful than they should be. They are unecessarily
slow and tend to crash the backend.

There seems to be a common approach of "fetch everything and let the
client sort it out" that slows down a number of things like fetching
the list of recordings in MythWeb. I suspect this causes problems in
the frontend too.

There doesn't seem to be the option of deleting a single tuner card.
I removed one because the driver was causing kernel panics, deleted
the offending kernel module ko file and still Myth wants to try and
tune into it. Myth could be a bit brighter about missing hardware.
(any sql hints for doing this delete directly?)

That said, minor bugs that crash either the frontend or backend are
easy to work around either with a kill script or keepalive script.

Without my air2pc issue I wouldn't need to "maintain" my MythTV
system as the original complaintant implies.

Although with any PVR there's the problem of creating and maintaining
rules and pruning out stuff that you don't want wasting space. This
can be a bit of a pain even with a Tivo.