[mythtv-users] Underwater audio

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Mon Feb 25 15:21:19 UTC 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 11:15 PM, Curtis Stanford
<curtis at stanfordcomputing.com> wrote:
> I'm having a problem with audio in SVN lately that I've never had
>  before. On certain channels recorded over firewire (SD mainly), the
>  audio sounds like it's underwater. Usually, human voices sound OK but
>  any music sounds warbly and stuttery. The MPEG streams in question all
>  seems to be 32KHz audio. I haven't changed my hardware or audio
>  drivers for quite a while but something seems to have change in SVN
>  lately.

I've notice something sort of like that on only a few of the HD
programs I've recorded (QAM captured by the HDHomeRun). The other
thing I noticed with one recording was that the volume changed from
quiet to loud and back a few times.

This is a relatively new system...all new hardware, just setup in the
last couple of months. I don't necessarily know whether or not it's
the hardware, software, or broadcast to blame. I had planned to look
into it some more before reporting any bugs.

My motherboard has the i630 chipset which also uses the intel hda
driver. I'm only running this as a stereo output to the TV, but the
motherboard has outputs for 5.1 sound. I know that with surround sound
and 5.1 systems, a lot of times the voice is directed almost
exclusively to the center channel, with only reverb being output to
the other channels (along with the music). Being that I've only got it
hooked up for stereo surround, there is obviously nothing hooked up to
the center channel output. This made me sort of suspicious that maybe
the show was being broadcast with 5.1 audio and somehow I've got 5.1
audio turned on somewhere (though I have no idea how to go about
changing that).

Also, I've seen (but not read) a few threads on the dev list about
multichannel audio. Maybe this is being caused by something currently
being worked on. I don't know. All I can say is that the problem
hasn't happened often enough to annoy me enough to take time out from
other things to investigate it further.

--
Ron