[mythtv-users] SVN removal howto

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Feb 25 06:27:29 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> says:
> > Still waiting for 0.21.. It's been six months since 0.20.2, or a
> > year and a half since 0.20.
> Yeah.  Every indication says the project is dead.

[Rest of Mike's sarcasm--quite apt in this case, I think--deleted]

I'm of two minds on the issue. On the one hand, the
18-months-and-counting spread between 0.20 and 0.21 testifies to just
how usable and feature-complete 0.20 was and is. In my
mind, the two big enhancements in 0.21 will be 1) storage groups and
2) the OpenGL renderer from the former mythth-vid branch. While I'm
glad I finally jumped to SVN (via ATrpms) a couple of weeks ago, there
really was no compelling reason whatsoever in my particular
situation--with no frontend or videocard capable of using the OpenGL
renderer, and having long used the multiple-directories patch in
#1744in lieu of storage groups--to have done so.

On the other hand, it seems the developers unintentionally bit off
more than they could chew in terms of new features for 0.21. Chris Pinkham
committed Storage groups in r12151, way back in November 2006 (just a
few months after 0.20). Some quick searching in SVN shows that
mythtv-vid was merged into trunk in, what, September 2007? In
retrospect, a 0.21 in mid-2007 would have brought support for multiple
recording directories--the single most-important feature enhancement
in this age of ever-increasing storage demands--to the masses that
much sooner, and the OpenGL renderer would be the major focus of 0.22
scheduled for, well, right about now actually.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array