[mythtv-users] Encoding to h264 to save space

Chris Isip cmisipster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 04:13:08 UTC 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Chris Isip <cmisipster at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have now converted approximately 30 % of my recordings to x264 and
> possibly 60 % by next week.  I hope x264 playback would not break in future
> myth versions, or else I would be royally screwed.
>
> Other minor annoyances I've noticed.  Commercial skip list is off by a few
> seconds on reencoded videos and there is no way to redo commercial skip
> after reencode.
>
> Chris

  I 've learned a few things.   Encoding to h264 has the obvious advantage
of significant reduction in required storage.  There are some disadvantages
though which  I feel all are related to the keyframe issue:  seeking results
in video distortion for a few seconds, the commercial skip list is offset by
a few seconds and so is save position, there is no way to redo the
commercial skip after transcode, the thumbnails in mythweb suffer the same
video distortion. Running mythtranscode -mpeg2  prior to ffmpeg fixes the
a-v sync issue with livetv recording. I have tried not rebuilding the seek
table, setting keyframes to 15 and 1, or omitting the keyframe setting from
the ffmpeg command line but this did not resolve the video distortion with
seek.    If anybody else has an idea please let me know.   I found out that
a 250k bitrate setting  is adequate for my needs.  I still find it hard to
believe that I have this level of quality and yet have to use only 75 MB
per  half hour of video.

Chris