[mythtv-users] PVR 150 v. PVR 500

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 22:05:46 UTC 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Jeff Holicky
<myth.myth_user at myth.sent.com> wrote:

>  Hi all, I am looking at building a Myth BE server and want to have
> initially up to 4 SD tuner cards. Perhaps later moving to a 2SD / 2HD model.
>
> From what I understand the Hauppauge PVR 500 has dual tuners based on the
> PVR 150 (but requrires an additional header for the 2nd source input) plus
> an FM tuner (no interest to me).

No additional header is required if you're recording from the coaxial input.

But you might need that extra header (which does come with the card)
next year (or 2010 for cable customers, IIRC). That's because when
analog TV signals go away, you'll need a converter box for each
recording tuner, and you'll have to use separate inputs in such a case
(right now the tuners pick the signals from the coaxial cable).

> Today, are there any issues that affect the cards? Should I be asking
> for a specific version?

I don't know. I can tell you that I had to replace a
physically-damaged (i.e., coaxial jack broke lose) PVR-500 5 months
ago, and the card I bought at that time has been working fine.

> 2) Idea: 4xPVR 150 v. 2xPVR 500.
> a) Other than perhaps a bit more money (maybe) for the single PVR150, are

At times I've seen PVR-150s for _less_ than 1/2 the price of a PVR-500.

Calvin