[mythtv-users] RANT: MythTV has a *horrible* end user experience.

Matt MacDonald macdonald.matthew at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 14:14:23 UTC 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 8:20 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>

>  On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 11:58 PM, Matt MacDonald
>  <macdonald.matthew at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  I have to disagree with this statement.  My wife, who is somewhat
>  >  technical figured the UI out without any trouble and when my
>  >  grandmother (who's VCR is still flashing 12:00) came by to visit, she
>  >  picked up the remote and just started to use it.
>
>  to just change channels and watch, sure.
>
>  try to rewind, skip back etc... then the hassle starts.

You do have a bit of a point.  She figured out how to watch a program
and how to delete it afterwards.  I'm sure that it I had explained the
concept of commercial skip or ffwd she could have done it, but she is
from the pre-PVR era where commercials were the time to get your
snacks.

>  Also no easy way to access the current program information.
>
>  on my cable box, i press the i button and it shows the name of the
>  program, press i again and you have a nice summary.

I have noticed that.  This is a feature that I used some on my cable
company PVR but I can only think of one time when I wanted it with
Myth.