[mythtv-users] How to make MythTV work with S/Video and with Composite

Jon jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 12:11:00 UTC 2008

On Feb 23, 2008, at 7:24 PM, Igor Chudov wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 04:50:48PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
>> Igor Chudov wrote:
>>> I have a Hauppauge 150 card with coax, composite, and S/Video
>>> inputs.
>>> Of them, I will not be using coax, I will use S-Video for Dish and
>>> composite for Direct TV.
>>> In any case, it does not work too well, mythtv gets stuck if I start
>>> it up, the settings window goes through the motion etc.
>>> Is there anyone who is using mythtv with composite and s-video? Any
>>> pages to guide me?
>>
>> One problem I would think of is that both the composite and the
>> svideo
>> inputs use the baseband line audio inputs, so at least as far as
>> audio they
>> would be seen as the same by your system.
>>
>> I haven't tried what you are trying to do but I suspect it would,
>> at the
>> very least, take a lot of work to make it work, if indeed it could.
>
> Brian, would there be a better way to deal with having a DirecTV and
> Dish Network?
>
> Maybe I can make one of them go through coax?
>
> Worst case, I could probably use just one. Any suggestions? I want to
> get SOMETHING to work.
>
> Also, I have a bunch of .avi's  on a shared drive, can I use MythTV to
> watch those?
>
> thanks a lot

The AVIs can be played using mythvideo. You need to set your video
directory on the frontend to match where the files are stored. (a
local mount)

For the DTV/Dish issue, my solution would be to get a second tuner.
Theoretically, you can use the svideo and composite inputs, but your
problem falls into a lack of audio inputs. You can only record from
one at a time if you don't have 2 inputs anyway, so what good is
that? With twin cards, you can hook the dtv to one card and the dish
to the other, and everything should work a little better.