[mythtv-users] Hardware Installation Support for Basic PC

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Sun Feb 24 10:35:16 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 08:38 +0000, Mark Golledge wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> Many thanks for the advive.
>
> I've just had a look on the motherboard spec and I can upgrade to a
> Pentium 4 2.8Ghz (although I think 2.4Ghz will be more readily
> available) and potentially 3GB RAM (as each DIMM slot can hold 1GB RAM
> each). I'm probably going to go with 1.5GB to start with (512MB x 3).

If you've already got a CPU, I've have a try with that to start with -
recording and playing standard def. digital TV shouldn't require a super
powerful CPU.

Also, I'd say that 1.5GB RAM will be more than enough.  Mine runs quite
nicely with only 1Gb and it does other things as well such as mail and
web.  It hardly every swaps out to disk.  But more memory is always
nice!

> As for the graphics card, I think I might be limited to NVIDIA
> GeForce2 MX200 16MB or GeForce2 MX400 32MB (according to the manual).
> Any preferred options?

I wouldn't have thought that the motherboard would limit your choice of
graphics card so much.  I've got an Nvidia Quadro NVS card that I
aquired from somewhere - I can't say it's great, but it does the job and
it's fanless, so it's silent.

> Finally, thanks for the note about the tuner. I'll have a look at
> that.
>

> Mark

Robert.