[mythtv-users] help needed in defining custom recording

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sat Feb 23 22:15:06 UTC 2008

Mudit Wahal wrote:
> I'm recording shows on dish network on international channel.
> Unfortunately, there is no information coming from the
> ScheduleDirect/TMS about the show except for the title name. So, there
> is no way to find if its duplicate etc based on program ID or
> description etc.

It isn't magic, either there are programids that are unique
else subtitle/desc that distinguish or you can't tell from
the info provided. But you might know the pattern...

> There are two episodes aired in a week. The original first episode is
> aired at 4pm Friday and and its rebroadcast at 9pm friday as well as
> 8:30am next day on Saturday. The second original episode is aired at 4pm
> Saturday and rebroadcast at 9pm sat and 8:30am sunday.

This is exactly what FindDaily/FIndWeekly are for.

> Now, if I set record only one each day, I pick up friday's episode twice
> (4pm and sat 8:30am). In order to record all the episodes I've to set

Boo-boo. You mentioned "custom" in the subject line with no
elaboration. I have to assume by context that you convinced
yourself this must require a Custom Record rule which is not
correct and counterproductive in this case. The interval for
the day or week is based on the timeslot of the showing that
was chosen when the rule was created. For a search rule, you
are not focused on a specific showing so it defaults to 12am.

Remove your current rule then find your show in the listings.
Pick a 4:00pm showing on any date. Press "I"nfo to see the
recording options and set a new rule to "Record one showing
of this title every day" Set any other options you'd like then
"[Save these settings]".

When you enter the options page again, at the top you will see:

   Whatever Title
   (4:00 pm or later)
       Airdate: ...

This rule will then record the earliest available of any one
showing of "Whatever Title" that starts at any time from 4pm
today up to 3:59 tomorrow. It would also record one from 4pm
tomorrow  through3:59 the next day, if any, and so on.

> Any ideas/pointers/etc ?

--  bjm