[mythtv-users] Hardware Installation Support for Basic PC

Mark Golledge mark at markgolledge.com
Sat Feb 23 21:34:10 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm thinking about setting up MythTV for the first time.

I've recently managed to get hold of a Compaq Evo 500 Small Form Factor PC
(D5S) similar to the one here:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1386319

I've only got the motherboard and case at the moment, but I'm aiming to
purchase the rest (RAM, CPU, HDD, Graphics Card) giving me:

Pentium 4 1.7Ghz Processor (Socket 478)
512MB RAM
120GB HDD

Unfortunately the case isn't too high so I need a half height AGP Card and
there is only one PCI slot (although on-board sound).

I want to be able to watch and record live digital TV (as I'm living in the
UK) through mythtv (perhaps using XBMC which I currently have operating as
the frontend).

Can you let me know whether this spec would be up to the challenge. I
presume because there is only 1 PCI card, I wouldn't be able to watch live
tv and record another channel at the same time as I'd need two tuners.

Any thoughts about tuners and graphics card would be helpful too (is it
possible to find one at half height?)

Many thanks,

Mark

I've only got the motherboard and case at the moment but when I purchase the
Intel celeron processor (Intel 815e chipset socket 478) and ram, it'll give
me a Pentium 4 1.7Ghz Processor with 512MB RAM.

--
Mark Golledge
E: mark at markgolledge.com