[mythtv-users] OT - Life without MythTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Feb 23 03:03:02 UTC 2008

Bill Omer wrote:
> It's a sad ... sad day.  Today held the final hours of life from my 56" HDTV.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone may have any idea's I could try at taking a
> crack at repairing it.  It's an RCA D56W20, about four years old.
> When I try to turn on the TV, you hear the sound like its trying to
> turn on (I assume it's the lamp), the power LED turns on for a second,
> then the LED goes off.  A second later, it comes back on, you hear the
> lamp (?) sound again, then the LED goes off.  It does this about three
> times, then stops.
>
> I've seen this happen before, about a month ago.  I unplugged the TV
> for a few minutes and that fixed it.  Since then, I've been using dpms
> to blank the screen without turning off the set.  This afternoon, the
> set was turned off and now I can't get it to come back on.
>
> Anyone daring enough to take a stab in the dark?

Sounds like the power supply is trying to come up, and is immediately
switching off.

Not that that makes it easy, numerous "protection" signals will instruct
the PS to shut down, then there is the possibility of problems with the
PS itself, or one of the mechanisms that generate fault signals.

I'd use general troubleshooting techniques: Inspect everything visually,
clean any dust and crap out and inspect again. Check for loose connectors.

If things are modularized enough to allow you to disconnect some and see
if the PS comes up you might try that.

Without the schematics (or at least block diagrams) it's tough. If it's
a common problem with that model you might find something on the net
about it.

BE CAREFUL, especially if you're not familiar with servicing electronics.

> If not, anyone else have any advice on how to coop with life without
> MythTV for a while?  :)

Uhhh... Books?

beww