[mythtv-users] Frontend lock-up

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Sat Feb 23 02:08:02 UTC 2008

Chris Woelkers wrote:
> Please note: My system configuration can be found at the bottom of this message.
>
> I have been having an issue with the frontend.  Every so often, about
> every 1-2 weeks, the frontend would freeze up.  After a reboot I
> checked the logs and found that the video driver was crashing. I have
> an NVIDIA card so I updated the driver to the latest one available,
> version 169.09, and haven't had a problem for a whole month, twice the
> time I got before the driver update.
>
> However I just discovered that the frontend had frozen up again.  I
> was able to log in through SSH and found that the process had zombied.

[deleted]

Perhaps your video card or some other system component is overheating?
The nvidia-settings utility has a thermal monitor that will tell you the
temp of your GPU.  Not that that does you any good after it crashes, but
you can keep an eye on it beforehand.

> I tried to restart kdm, through /etc/init.d/kdm restart, to clear
> everything up and according to the output it was successful.  However
> the process remained in top and the image of the frozen frontend is
> still on my TV.(Picture of it available here:
> http://www.stpauls-fsu.org/newmancenter/images/frontend.jpg)
>
> At this point the only thing I can think of is a system restart.  If
> anyone has an idea on how to solve this issue without a system restart
> than please suggest it.

If you want to avoid a restart, you can try:

init 3 - This goes to runlevel 3, stopping X
init 5 - Enter runlevel 5, starting X

I just noticed your running Ubuntu, so not sure if these Fedora-ish
commands will work, although there should be an equivalent.