[mythtv-users] service mythbackend start fails - HOME env variable

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 17:43:17 UTC 2008

On 22/02/2008, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 02/22/2008 11:46 AM, Fredrik Hallgarde wrote:
>  > A fix that is allowing for customization of user running the backend and
>  > avoids hardcoding things into the init.d script or requiring changes to it.
>
> As Marko said, you need a proper init_script.  Anduin Withers and Nick
>  Morrott spent quite a bit of time working on the new init script for
>  Fedora, so try it out, and I think it will solve your issues.

I'm not running current SVN due to ongoing illness and subsequent lack
of time at the moment (but I still check the lists). As a result, I'm
not sure if the recent changes to MythTV regarding checking for a good
configuration will affect how the Fedora startup scripts I worked on
last year will run.

The Fedora initscript/config ensures that $HOME is set, which is one
of the key reasons for failed mythbackend startups and
mythfilldatabase issues. If you are running Fedora, they are by far
the best (IMNSHO) and most flexible way to control mythbackend. Copy
the config file to /etc/sysconfig/mythbackend, and update it as
required.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki: