[mythtv-users] service mythbackend start fails - HOME env variable

Marko Nurmenniemi marko.nurmenniemi at kolumbus.fi
Fri Feb 22 16:46:23 UTC 2008

Mike LaPlante wrote:
> Calvin Dodge wrote:
>> I used to edit that init.d script to explicitly set HOME, but it got
>> wiped out by every mythtv upgrade.
> So this has been a problem for you in the past? I have never seen this
> issue until I did an upgrade yesterday. I run the bleeding repo from AT
> so the update was to version 16131. However, I don't remember which
> revision I was on previously, it had been a while since I updated.
>
> Mike

Just in case you are experiencing the same problem I had, here's the
solution.

I'm running Fedora8 with latest atrpms trunk (r16131).

The solution for me was to check that user account that is starting
mythbackend has a home folder set to something sensible. It had.
Next I took a look at the init scripts and saw that there was indeed a
notice that this does not work in RedHat on the version I was using...
There is actually new version of this script in
/usr/share/doc/mythtv-docs-0.21/contrib/init_scripts/ the one obvious
for me was fedora.init.mythbackend which needs to be copied and renamed
to /etc/rc.d/init.d/mythbackend

Works for me
-Marko