[mythtv-users] HDHomerun signal strength required

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Feb 22 03:47:48 UTC 2008

Brian Wood wrote:
> TV broadcast signals cab be affected by rain fade, but the effect is
> minimal (it is more pronounced the higher the frequency, thus UHF
> suffers more than VHF, and the higher channels have more potential trouble).

What Brian says is true, but if you're using an outdoor antenna you
should also make sure your antenna connections are adequately
waterproofed.  Cable TV style "F" connectors are not waterproof (or even
water-resistant), and water leaking into them will dramatically increase
signal loss.  It can also wick into the coax and damage it, again by
causing the loss to increase.  I've heard of cases where the indoor end
of the coax actually started to drip water after a few years.

The best stuff I've found for waterproofing coaxial cable connectors is
a product called "Coax Seal".  It's a putty that comes in a roll, like
tape.  You wrap it around the connection and then mold it.  I've had
bare copper fittings covered by this stuff up on a roof for 5 years and
they were still bright and shiny when I scraped it off.
  I think Radio Shack still sells it; it's also commonly available from
places that sell amateur radio equipment.