[mythtv-users] Controlling two DCT700 digital cable boxes

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Thu Feb 21 21:35:04 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-21 at 12:12 -0600, Douglas Hitchcock wrote:
>         Why not get a usb to serial adapter?  Then you can control one
>         via
>         serial, and the other via usb->serial...
>
> Hmm that's a new idea.  So I would just have to buy another single
> serial blaster, then some kind of serial to usb adapter?  And this
> would work in Lirc?

If the cable boxes both have serial ports on them, and you can control
each of them individually via serial cable, then you don't need blasters
at all.  As I understand it, your PC has a single serial port.  So that
connects to one cable box via serial, then the usb->serial adapter
connects to another serial cable which goes to the other cable box.
>From there you can use the dct-channel to control both boxes, and just
vary the parameter to determine which box you're controlling.  No LIRC
needed, no blasters needed, no electrical tape, no changing remote codes
on boxes needed...

	-I