No subject

Wed Feb 20 16:39:46 UTC 2008

1 day to 1 year from now.  I expect someone more knowledgeable can do
better.  If you ask a stock broker whether a stock is at its peak, they can
say "I don't think so" or "I think it will be in the next few weeks" or "I
think it peaked last month."  Of course, it's impossible to say with 100%
certainty, but I thinks it's a decent analogy.  Sure, the broker could tell
someone to "download the historical data and make your own guess," but that
would be a waste of the work the stock broker already did.  As you said,
this is an OSS project.   The idea is to share knowledge and not to reinvent
the wheel.  I could start learning how to program and come out with my on
PVR software package, but that would be silly.

The reason I ask is I plan to do some setup changes and I'd rather wait till
the next release to do that.  If it's a matter of days or weeks, I'll hold
off.  If it's a matter of months, I'll go ahead and make my changes now.
I'm not trying to be impatient, and I'm not suggesting it's taking too
long.  I'm simply asking for some guidance from the more experienced people
in the community.

So does anyone feel confident enough to venture a guess?

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 10:10 AM, Bert Van Kets <mythtv-users at vankets.com>
wrote:

> That question is impossible to answer. Check out the bug list and make a
> guess yourself.
>
> As with most OSS projects wihtout a release cycle: it will be done when
> it's done.
> Be patient or dive in yourself. ;-)
>
> Josh White wrote:
> > If someone more knowledgeable than me were to guess, are we talking
> > days, weeks, or months as the definition of not "very much longer?"
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Dan Ritter <dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
> > <mailto:dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 08:38:28AM -0500, John Drescher wrote:
> >     > On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Mark Hutchinson
> >     <mwhutchinson at mac.com <mailto:mwhutchinson at mac.com>> wrote:
> >     > > I want to go back to stable RPMS for a bit.  How is the best
> >     way to
> >     > >  remove SVN?
> >     > >  make uninstall?  Then remove the database?
> >     > >  I am looking for a total uninstall.
> >     > >
> >     > Being that I am a windows software developer, I have a question.
> >     >
> >     > Shouldn't the current 0.21 SVN be considered nearly stable being
> >     that
> >     > at whatever point in time a release is built it will be a svn
> >     snapshot
> >     > from the current trunk?
> >
> >     No.
> >
> >     The activity in the last two weeks has been tremendous, with
> >     devs deciding to punt features into 0.22 or unknown, commits for
> >     bugs which have been tested, commits for bugs which are being
> >     introduced by other commits, and so forth. You can't even swear
> >     that a given SVN version will compile on all platforms.
> >
> >     Wait. The increased activity suggests that it won't be very much
> >     longer.
> >
> >     -dsr-
> >

> >     --
> >     This message has been scanned for viruses and
> >     subversive content by DHS, and is
> >     believed to be treasonous Commie propaganda.
> >     http://tao.merseine.nu/~dsr/eula.html<http://tao.merseine.nu/%7Edsr/eula.html>
> >     <http://tao.merseine.nu/%7Edsr/eula.html> is hereby incorporated
> >     by reference.

------=_Part_7577_32007881.1203608912112

If you read it again, my question is far from impossible to answer. <br><br>Someone who has seen the transition from .17 to .18, .18 to .19, .19 to .20...could conceivably have a better idea of when they started hearing &quot;it&#39;s close&quot; on the discussion group to &quot;it&#39;s here&quot; based on how the transitions from the last major versions to the next went.<br>
guess yourself.<br>
As with most OSS projects wihtout a release cycle: it will be done when<br>
it&#39;s done.<br>
Be patient or dive in yourself. ;-)<br>
Josh White wrote:<br>
&gt; If someone more knowledgeable than me were to guess, are we talking<br>
&gt; days, weeks, or months as the definition of not &quot;very much longer?&quot;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 08:38:28AM -0500, John Drescher wrote:<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &gt; On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Mark Hutchinson<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &gt; &gt; I want to go back to stable RPMS for a bit. &nbsp;How is the best<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; way to<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &gt; &gt; &nbsp;remove SVN?<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &gt; &gt; &nbsp;make uninstall? &nbsp;Then remove the database?<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &gt; &gt; &nbsp;I am looking for a total uninstall.<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &gt; Being that I am a windows software developer, I have a question.<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &gt;<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &gt; Shouldn&#39;t the current 0.21 SVN be considered nearly stable being<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; that<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &gt; at whatever point in time a release is built it will be a svn<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; snapshot<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &gt; from the current trunk?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; No.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; The activity in the last two weeks has been tremendous, with<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; devs deciding to punt features into 0.22 or unknown, commits for<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; bugs which have been tested, commits for bugs which are being<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; introduced by other commits, and so forth. You can&#39;t even swear<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; that a given SVN version will compile on all platforms.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; Wait. The increased activity suggests that it won&#39;t be very much<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; longer.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; -dsr-<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; --<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; This message has been scanned for viruses and<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; subversive content by DHS, and is<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; believed to be treasonous Commie propaganda.<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; <a href="http://tao.merseine.nu/%7Edsr/eula.html" target="_blank">http://tao.merseine.nu/~dsr/eula.html</a><br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; mythtv-users mailing list<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; mythtv-users mailing list<br>
&gt;<br>