[mythtv-users] vbi streams are full

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Thu Feb 21 03:40:12 UTC 2008

Yan Seiner wrote:
> I am running a PVR150, and I keep getting this error.  Can anyone shed
> some light on this error?

[deleted]

> Feb 20 16:02:51 selene kernel: ivtv0: All encoder VBI stream buffers are
> full. Dropping data.
> Feb 20 16:02:51 selene kernel: ivtv0: Cause: the application is not
> reading fast enough.

[deleted]

I believe the fix for this is to pass some parameters to your ivtv
driver.  I have the following line in my modprobe.conf:

options ivtv enc_mpg_buffers=16 enc_vbi_buffers=8

This increases the buffer size for the encoder and the VBI stream(?) to
16 and 8 MB respectively.

I used to get the same or similar messages as you describe, but they
went away after I increased the buffer size from the default.