[mythtv-users] Encoding to h264 to save space

Chris Isip cmisipster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 11:00:33 UTC 2008

On Feb 20, 2008 4:56 AM, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> How are people watching these transcoded recordings? Are you using
> MythVideo or do they somehow appear under Watch Recordings (if so,
> how)?
>
> Also, one of the posters mentioned they were getting down to 400MB per
> 30 mins. Using the in-built transcoder (Autodetect from MPEG2 -->
> MPEG4) I'm getting approx 550MB per 30 minutes, so it doesn't sound
> like an enormous saving to go to all this trouble to get h264 - are
> there other benefits of this aside from the space savings?
>
> My transcode settings are:
> Bitrate = 2500
> Max Quality = 2
> Min Quality = 15
> Scale bitrate for frame size = off
> Max quality diff between frames = 3
> Enable high quality encoding = on
> Enable interlaced DCT encoding = off
> Enable 4MV encoding = on
> Enable interlaced motion estimation = off
>
> Regards,
> Phill

I am watching them in Watch Recordings, not MythVideo, hence using the
internal player.   The script renames the reencoded file to match the
original file and the original file is renamed with a .old extension in case
you want to revert.  A final database update updates filesize and cutlist
status in mythconverg.  I have added some other refinements since I posted
this including: excluding LiveTV recordings, setting the recgroup of
reencoded videos to "Archive",  removing the line that imports the
commercial skip into the cutlist.