[mythtv-users] Petition to Toshiba to release specifications for their HD-DVD players

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Feb 19 14:54:23 UTC 2008

Patrick Davila wrote:
> So Toshiba has officially surrendered in the HD format war. I’ve started
> an online Petition asking Toshiba to release the specifications for their
> entire line of HD-DVD players:
> http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/HD-DVDSpecRelease/
>
> Wouldn’t it be cool to use your player as an HD capable MythTV frontend?
> Toshiba HD-DVD players are powered by a MIPS processor and already run
> Linux with BusyBox. They are network capable (with an ethernet port) and
> have a full set of video connections. Whether Toshiba responds is any
> body’s guess. The more signatures the better. Please sign the petition
> even if you don’t own an HD-DVD player. Thanks in advance.

Great idea, and yes it would be cool.

The usual problem with things like this is that Toshiba likely did not
do the development themselves, and to release anything they would have
to get permission from (probably several) third parties.

I don't think the problem is money so much as the "hassle factor"
involved in clearing everything. Any good corporate lawyer would
probably advise them to "be safe", unless there was a significant
potential profit.

But it certainly can't hurt to try..

beww