[mythtv-users] Recommendations for HD capture

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Feb 19 00:49:09 UTC 2008

On Feb 18, 2008, at 3:42 PM, Peter Loron wrote:

> 1. When the digital cutover happens next year, will the various
> channels on cable wind up all going HD? Or will we mostly be still
> stuck with 480i - just digital?

There is nothing that says the cable company has to do anything
differently than they are currently doing. The digital transition is
for over the air broadcasts only. However, that doesn't mean the cable
companies WON'T do anything. It's up to them as far as what they want
to provide. If I know them like I think I know them, they will say,
"They're making us go digital so now you have to pay for digital."
which isn't true. But this won't be the first time they lied to make
money.

> 2. Since I can wait a while, any reason not to sit tight until the new
> capture devices are ready? I'm somewhat slot limited, so I'd like one
> card that can handle whatever formats Comcast will be carrying into
> the future (QAM + ?).

Not sure what new capture devices you're waiting for so I can't answer
that. If you're talking about the Hauppauge Component capture device,
I believe it's a USB device so no need to worry about an extra PCI slot.