[mythtv-users] Fastest RAID for HD?

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Mon Feb 18 23:23:09 UTC 2008

* On Mon Feb 18, 2008 at 11:41:36AM -0500, Ronald Frazier wrote:
> >> What if instead of putting it right in the recordings folder, you had
> >> it go into a subdirectory on that partition. I don't believe myth
> >> would create the missing subfolder if the drive failed to mount.

This is correct, Myth will not create the missing subfolder.

> > Did I mention anything about subfolders?
> > I mount a 1TB drive here. I do not use subfolders.

You should though.

> Did I say you mentioned anything about subfolders? No. It was *I* who
> was suggesting that *IF* you put them in subfolders on the other
> partition (instead of putting them in the "root" of the other
> partition) then myth wouldn't fill up your root partition in the even
> of a mount failure because the directory it was looking wouldn't
> exist. The mount point would exist, but there would be nothing under
> it, so myth wouldn't find the folder it was looking for an wouldn't be
> able to write into it. It would then choose another storage folder,
> right?
>
> Maybe thats not the goal you are trying to acheive...I don't know.
> This thread has gotten quite long.

He's not paying attention.  subfolders/subdirectories are what I told
him to use to begin with in order to prevent this 'issue' from happening.

If his system is misconfigured, he shouldn't blame Myth or expect it to
keep him from shooting himself in the foot.

Mark, use a subdir.  It doesn't take up that much space and will fix
your perceived problem.  If the subdir doesn't exist because the filesystem
isn't mounted, then Myth won't fill up your root partition.

--
Chris