[mythtv-users] Quick-boot linux?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 21:58:07 UTC 2008

On Feb 18, 2008 12:24 PM, Ben Coates <bencoates at gmail.com> wrote:

> How long does your distro take to boot into MythFrontend?
>
> Can anyone recommend a cut-down distro that would boot in under 20 secs
> straight into Myth...is that possible at the moment?

My Gentoo frontend on a Dell 4700C 3 Ghz takes 55 seconds from power
on to actually running myth.  About 12 of that is BIOS stuff before
grub even loads, so 20 would be really fast.

I'm not running anything I don't need on there, and there's not really
anything of note in my kernel I don't need.  I'm using a fluxbox
session started from inittab.  In terms of distro related stuff I'm
not sure you're going to trim it down a whole lot more than that.

Come to think of it, I actually have a two second sleep in my fluxbox
startup to keep the frontend from starting before xscreensaver starts
in the background.

Tom