[mythtv-users] AM2 Motherboard with PCI slots galore

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Mon Feb 18 20:24:42 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:

>>> Wouldn't you start to run into PCI bandwidth limitations?
>>
>> Well, they used to make motherboards with 5-6 pci slots....
>
> Yeah, but if you're using a breakout box that plugs a bunch of PCI
> slots into a single slot, aren't you more limited than a motherboard
> with a bunch of PCI slots built in?

You could also go from a PCI-e slot to multiple PCI slots.  I know some PCI-e
cards are just PCI devices that have been adapted with a bridge chip.  Googling
for "pci expansion chassis" and then clicking around within one of the first
sites listed turned up this:

http://www.magma.com/products/pci/

I have no idea how much these things cost (probably not cheap), but in addition
to PCI-to-PCI, it looks like there are host-system adapters for CardBus,
ExpressCard, PCI Express, and PCI-X.

(Ouch...there's a "shop now" link, and just the single-slot chassis with most
host adapters runs around $1000.  4 slots would run about $1400, and 7 slots
start around $1600.  eBay prices for similar products don't look much better,
either.)

   _/_
  / v \ Scott Alfter