[mythtv-users] Quick-boot linux?

Sarah Hayes sarah at sarahhayes.is-a-geek.net
Mon Feb 18 18:27:45 UTC 2008

Ben Coates wrote:
> Suspend to ram sounds like the way forward but Sarah your EPIA sounds
> sweet, what hardware exactly are you using?
It's an old EPIA MII10K, Via C3 Processor 1Ghz in speed, 256MB RAM, and
a 7,200 rpm laptop drive.  Basically everything that can be tossed out
in the interests of speed was.   Of course, being so fettled with it
often goes... erm... quite wrong :)

> I'm trying to achieve a low-power system too.
Doable, but to be honest the Epia boards (C3 based, no experience of C7
processors) whilst having lots of features tend to be pigs; in the
oddest ways.

> Suspend to RAM... does this mean it's drawing a limited amount of
> power just to keep the system alive? A bit like hibernate?

STR (aka Suspend to RAM, Standby, S3, etc.) is basically just that.  All
the fans and disks power down and the system sits there in low power
mode waiting for someone/something to wake it up.

STD (aka Suspend to Disk, Hibernate, S5, etc.) is where the system
basically writes a complete memory snapshot in to swap space, unmounts
everything and promptly turns itself off.   You could at this point cart
the device off somewhere else.  When you turn it on the machine reads
the snapshot back in to RAM, remounts file systems and is,
theoretically, ready to go again.

My gut feeling is to get STR working on your machine, even a dog old
system should wake up in a few seconds.