[mythtv-users] Which USB DVB-T Device should I choose, in a 266Mhz Linux Box

Sarah Hayes sarah at sarahhayes.is-a-geek.net
Mon Feb 18 13:54:08 UTC 2008

Guan Xuefei wrote:
> Hello folks, I am new to MythTV, I have a old linux box (266MHz CPU),
> I would like to choose a USB DVB-T box, and It should have the
> hardware encoder because the poor CPU, I checked the mythtv website,
> and it takes me to here,
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_USB_Devices, a lot of
> devices for me to choose, If anyone have ever use those devices,
> please give me some advices. Thanks.
>
> Guan,
Whilst, yes, DVB cards require very little to no CPU overhead, I'd be
dubious of using a USB one on such a beastie.

  A lot of them I've encountered seem to be USB2 not USB1 or 1.1 (and
yes, I've encountered old boards that were pre-usb spec with what
amounts to the USB equivalent of early pre-N on them... i.e. nowt worked
properly with anyone else's stuff), backwards compatibility is one thing
but volume of data another.  I'm also dubious because USB devices do
seem to take a hit on the CPU and well, you'll have the data stream
being written to the disk; can it cope?

A good question to ask is "How much throughput does a disk need to write
an mpeg2/whatever it appears as stream?" and compare the average against
a hdparm -tT /dev/hda if the result is higher you're ok, if not, you'll
possibly be dropping frames on recording.

Is this little machine going to be an "all-in-one"?  If so keep in mind
that MySQL will be running on it and both the frontend and backend
programs, so you might want to max the memory on the system; which is
probably PC100/133 SDRAM and thus dirt cheap.  Being an older board it
probably won't take all that much so not an expensive proposition :)

Would it work?  Probably.  Would it be a good long term solution?
Probably not, but handy for figuring out if MythTV is for you and then
throwing bigger (but not necessarily cutting edge) hardware at it, say a
PIII or early P4 for both recording and perfect playback :)

Sarah