[mythtv-users] Twin Cities MythTV Users - Channel 23.1

Tim Schall tschall-mythtv at fortgirlfriend.com
Sun Feb 17 23:17:27 UTC 2008

OK, I haven't used MythTV in a long time and know nothing about using it for
digital.  Being the transmission and encoding engineer for the PBS station
out here in Seattle what I do know something about is how an MPEG/ATSC
stream is put together.

Understand that PSIP and MPEG program PID's don't really have anything to do
with each other.  What seems to be messed up here is the Program Allocation
Table (PAT).  Some tuners use it.  Some don't.  It's transmission is
required and it's required to be correct.

The PAT at its simplest form tells the receiver where to find the programs.
Sorta like this:
    I know about 2 programs.
        Program #3 is a 704x480 SD 4:3 show with two AC3 audio streams at
192kbps each.
            PCR (Program Clock Reference) can be recovered from PID 0x30
            Video can be recovered from PID 0x31
            Audio #1 can be recovered from PID 0x34
            Audio #2 can be recovered from PID 0x35
            etc....

It could go one for a long time.  Mind does because I have 3SD programs and
1HD program stat mux'd into one bit stream.

At any rate, like I say, some receivers use the PAT some take other measures
to build their own.  Either way, if it ain't right bad things tend to
happen.

It sure sounds like Myth us getting confused by a bad PAT.  That would cause
the receiver hardware to lock onto the signal just fine (Explaing the 96%
part) and whine about the bit stream (Explaining the No Picture part.).

If you have access to a recent windows machine (Put down the rotten
eggs....) go find a copy of a program called TSReader and see if it shows
anything wrong with that transport stream.  Don't waste your time calling
the station.  You'll most likely get a hold of an idiot viewer services rep
(If you can find a human at all.) that has no idea what you're talking
about.