[mythtv-users] What happens if multiple frontends want to record same programme?

Wade Maxfield mythtv at hotblack.co.nz
Sun Feb 17 22:08:42 UTC 2008

John Veness wrote:

> There's nothing as yet. What I've setup with my wife is three Recording
> Groups, Both, John, and MyWifesName. Anything that only I want to watch
> is in my group, anything that only she wants to watch is in her name. We
> know that when we've watched things in these groups that the other
> person doesn't want to watch them and thus they are safe to delete.
> Anything that we would both want to see is in the Both group, and we
> usually both watch the show at the same time, but if we watched them
> separately we would know to check with the other person before deleting.
>
> This works ok with two people, but may not scale well to larger groups,
> and not work as well if people generally don't watch TV together, as
> they will have to keep checking with each other whether it is safe to
> delete. It also means that we can't easily choose to watch something via
> 'genre' (film, game show etc.). Well, we can choose to watch something
> via that route, but then we won't know which Recording Group it was in
> and therefore whether it's safe to delete afterwards.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John

If something is in the Both group, when one person has finished watching
it, they should move it to the other persons group.  No need to check if
it's safe to delete then, as anything in your group is something that
only you wanted to watch, or something your wife has already watched.
Delete away!

  - Wade