[mythtv-users] moving video devices

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sun Feb 17 19:18:26 UTC 2008

Yan Seiner wrote:
> I've chacked up a udev solution to the moving video devices.
>
> In a nutshell, I create a /dev/video directory with the video devices
> listed by name and by physical device.
>
> The setup is a bit of a hack as it needs an external script and
> unfortunately, mythtv-setup knows nothing about it so it's pretty
> useless ATM.
>
> The setup is modeled on the /dev/disk directory.
>
> You need the persistent-video.rules file (attached), the video_namer
> shell script (attached) and you need to add a symlink in
> /etc/udev/rules.d:
>
> z21_persistent-video.rules -> ../persistent-video.rules
>
> Put the persistent-video.rules into /etc/udev
> Put the video_namer into /usr/local/bin and don't forget to chmod +x
>
> (Any awk gurus out there?  You should be able to replace my
> video_namer hack with an awk script that doesn't require a separate
> helper program.)
>
> Is there any interest in this?  We'd really have to hack mtyhtv-setup
> to also look in /dev/video/* instead of just in /dev/ for video devices.
>
> If we can polish this up a bit and test it for USB devices I'd like to
> submit it for inclusion in (at least) debian, since that's what I use.
> With pluggable (USB) video devices out there, it's about time this was
> standard - just like /dev/disk.

Well, the resounding lack of response hasn't deterred me one bit.... :-)

Here's the corresponding /dev/dsp file.

You can type the names in to the audio and video device blocks; I've
tested this and Myth will use /dev/video/by-name/ivtv0_encoder_MPG,
which should be immune to the underlying /dev/video? device changing.

--Yan