[mythtv-users] SVN multi-threading

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Sun Feb 17 00:29:42 UTC 2008

Tom Lichti <tom at redpepperracing.com> says:
> I've seen that there have been some updates to trunk to allow
> multi-threaded decoding of streams, and in the video profiles screen
> there is a new 'max cpus' setting. However, that setting doesn't
> seem to be doing anything, or even being saved, I can't find any
> evidence in the settings table that it is stored there, and if I
> change it to '2', when I play a stream it says 'Using 1 CPUs for
> decoding', and then I go back into the video profile and it is set
> to 1 again.

I noticed the same thing. It seems that the individual entries in a
playback profile only save the Max CPUs setting when created;
subsequent edits don't change the number. Try deleting, then
recreating, an entry.

> Also, does it only work for h264 encoded streams, or will it help
> with MPEG2 as well?
>
> I only ask because I am seeing more CPU usage on playback now than I
> was a few weeks ago.

Sounds like what I noticed with my single-core Pentium 4 frontend. I
thought that, since the CPU is Hyperthreaded and thus emulates two
physical cores, bumping the Max CPUs number up to 2 would be a good
thing. Not so; CPU usage for mythfrontend running 1080i Bob playback
went from 50-70% to 100%+. So back to 1 I go.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array