[mythtv-users] Adding new channels

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Feb 16 15:44:16 UTC 2008

On 02/13/2008 10:51 AM, Jon wrote:
>> You can ssh to your backend from a machine with a display with X
>> forwarding (either the -X or -Y option, I'm never quite sure) and run
>> mythtv-setup, with the GUI appearing on the machine running the ssh
>> client.
> On my powerbook running X11, it's ssh -X. I think it's -y on some
> systems though. (which might explain your confusion)

It's -Y on any modern OpenSSH.  If you're using OpenSSH and it doesn't
have -Y, you /need/ to upgrade because the version you're using has many
security issues.

-X is slower than -Y and all -X does is silly things (that don't apply
to MythTV apps running on your own network) like preventing the MythTV
application from capturing keystrokes sent to other applications or
grabbing the window contents from other windows (i.e. it prevents Myth
from grabbing the contents of your browser window when you're connected
to your online banking application).  I've seen the MythTV code (and you
can see it, too).  Myth doesn't do anything like that, so running with
-X only slows things down and causes errors, and can potentially cause
applications to crash.

Also, with -Y, you can use the clipboard--which is /really/ nice for
typing in passwords or paths or ...

So, use -Y.  -X is meant for connecting to an untrusted host (i.e.
you're helping someone else configure his MythTV system across the
Internet and you don't know whether his hosts may have rogue programs
running on them).

Mike