[mythtv-users] nuvexport users.. on Ubuntu

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Sat Feb 16 14:53:33 UTC 2008

A JM [vbtalent at gmail.com] wrote:

> I downloaded from Kyle's site and had to bash the heck out of the script
> just to get it to run I was getting errors and it was just jumping to
> "Unable to open file.." It didn't like the if statements below... just
> curious if I missed something or if it's just an Ubuntu thing?

Newer Ubuntu uses a small, POSIX standard bourne shell (dash) rather
than bash as /bin/sh.  I think they do this to reduce boot times.
This causes scripts containing non-standard bash extensions to fail to
execute on Ubuntu the same way they will fail on non-Linux OSes.

The simplest thing to do might be to replace the #!/bin/sh at the top
of the script with #!/bin/bash, since that seems to be the shell the
script really uses.

Drew