[mythtv-users] [SOLVED] M2NPV-VM wakes up immediately on s3 suspend

Adolfo R. Brandes arbrandes at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 11:15:52 UTC 2008

The Problem:

  I have a frontend running on an Asus M2NPV-VM (BIOS 1201), and was
having problems with S3.  The box would enter standby (and resume)
perfectly if all USB buses were disabled in /proc/acpi/wakeup, but
would wake up immediately (i.e., after one or two seconds) otherwise.
However, I have an USB Gyration Universal Media Center Remote, and
naturally would like to use it to wake up the frontend.

  The following thread pointed to an unacceptable solution, which is
to unload the kernel module ohci_hcd during suspend.  This would fix
the immediate wake-up (behaving exactly like disabling all USB buses
on /proc/acpi/wakeup), but naturally would not let me wake up using an
USB device:

  After much fussing with no success (changing kernel versions,
switching suspend methods, etc.), I came around to my last resort:
mucking with the hardware.  I found out that unplugging all USB
devices aside from the remote (4 wireless joypads for MythGame, 2
dancepads for StepMania, and 1 smart UPS) would solve the problem.
But that was not satisfactory either; I don't want to have to plug and
unplug stuff everytime I suspend or resume.

The Solution:

  I figured out that you have to enable the +5VSB jumper on all the
USB hubs that have devices connected to them, even if you're not going
to use them to wake up the box!  In other words, turn them ALL on, not
just the one where the wake-up device is connected.  Don't worry about
joysticks waking up your machine randomly, because they won't;
apparently only devices with power buttons can do so.

Good luck,
Adolfo

PS: On my next post, how to fix the power button on the Gyration remote...