[mythtv-users] MythTV frontend without TV tuner or MySQL backend

Jon jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 02:11:42 UTC 2008

> I guess if I do run MythTV, my other half and kids can get used to it
> and might be more understanding when buy a nice Media Centre case,
> dual
> core CPU and motherboard that I've had my eye on :-)
>
> Thanks for your advice everyone, I'll give it a try (when the DVI to
> HDMI cable arrives).

This is the best idea. Get your mythbackend running, and work all the
bugs out of it before putting it live. I've seen Sabrent Bt878 cards
on TigerDirect for like $15. They're software encoding, but will get
you started on the cheap, if you wanted to be able to hook up a
tuner. Once you've got everything working, the SO will be addicted in
no time, and then you can spend money on better hardware capture
devices and hard drives, etc...

If you already have a nice server running, I would definitely think
about getting the mySQL and backend portions of myth onto that. The
backend uses hardly any resources (unless you're using that software
encoder I suggested, but my 2.6 P4 has no problem encoding and
playing at the same time...) and then you can connect any frontend
systems to it at your convenience.