[mythtv-users] MythTV frontend without TV tuner or MySQL backend

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Feb 15 19:04:03 UTC 2008

Fixing the top-posting:

On Feb 15, 2008, at 10:57 AM, Stuart Larson wrote:

> You would only run mythfrontend, and point it to your backend's IP
> (you
> may need to reconfigure your backend to listen on something other than
> it's loopback (127.0.0.1) through mythtv-setup, first).  You can
> also do
> commflag/transcode jobs if you wish, just run mythjobqueue in the
> background.

You misread his situation (and top-posted to boot).

The frontend needs to connect to a backend in order to function.
However, there are plenty of linux tools available for playing your
current media through your video card and to your fancy new TV. :)
Not sure what distro you're using, but many of the popular ones come
with media players when you select the option to install them. You can
use those until you are able to get a dedicated MythTV system set up.

Is there a reason you don't want to install a backend along with the
frontend on your machine? If you're not recording/commflagging/
transcoding, etc, etc. it shouldn't take up many resources. Even MySQL
will sit mostly idle in your situation.

-Brad