[mythtv-users] Fastest RAID for HD?

Lan Barnes lan at falleagle.net
Thu Feb 14 20:44:47 UTC 2008

On Thu, February 14, 2008 6:49 am, Mark Hutchinson wrote:
> I have read a bunch of docs, but wanted to get some feedback or
> reports of results.
>
> HD system.  firewire capture etc....  3ghz Core2Duo, 5 sata ports.
>
> I have 5-500gig sata drives for storage.
> LVM would work, but provide no RAID.  RAID 5 is too slow from what I
> have read.
> I was thinking of also cutting up recordings ( dont mind losing ) and
> videos ( need some redundancy or backup )
>
> Thoughts, recommendations?

I'm baffled by why anyone would consider RAID for a myth box. RAID uses
redundant HDs to decrease the likelyhood of data loss through drive
failure. Expensive but worth it if the data is golden.

But in the final analysis, myth recordings are JUST TV. Anything of more
than passing value (family photos, music, classic shows/movies) can and
should be backed up to CD/DVD. Outside of that, can one really be that
worried about a HD crash sweeping away months of Sponge Bob's?

My thought is (IMO), RAID isn't worth the trouble. My recommendation is,
use those lovely drives for more storage 1-up.

--
Lan Barnes

SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer