[mythtv-users] Fastest RAID for HD?

Janne Grunau janne-mythtvusers at grunau.be
Thu Feb 14 16:00:54 UTC 2008

On Thursday 14 February 2008 15:49:11 Mark Hutchinson wrote:
> I have read a bunch of docs, but wanted to get some feedback or
> reports of results.
>
> HD system.  firewire capture etc....  3ghz Core2Duo, 5 sata ports.
>
> I have 5-500gig sata drives for storage.
> LVM would work, but provide no RAID.  RAID 5 is too slow from what I
> have read.
> I was thinking of also cutting up recordings ( dont mind losing ) and
> videos ( need some redundancy or backup )
>
> Thoughts, recommendations?

Depends on the (future) size of your video collection. If it's well
below 500G I would use 2 disk (or parts of them) for a RAID1. The other
three disc should be used as seperate partitions for optimal speed.
This requries mythtv with storage group support. I.e. the upcoming 0.21
release or a build from the svn release branch.

On the other hand RAID5 should be fast enough for more than a couple of
HD streams. A single HD stream has ~20mbit/s and a modern hard drive
should do ~80MByte/s (640mbit/s).

Janne