[mythtv-users] Fastest RAID for HD?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 14:59:37 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Mark Hutchinson <mark at onnow.net> wrote:
> I have read a bunch of docs, but wanted to get some feedback or
>  reports of results.
>
>  HD system.  firewire capture etc....  3ghz Core2Duo, 5 sata ports.
>
>  I have 5-500gig sata drives for storage.
>  LVM would work, but provide no RAID.  RAID 5 is too slow from what I
>  have read.

With a modern CPU write speeds are > single disk speed but things slow
down when you have a lot of thrashing. Read speeds are  nearly RAID 0
for N-1 disks. I get 266MB/s hdparm reads on a 6 drive software raid 6
(AM2 Althlon 3000 single core + 2GB PC6400 DDR2 + 6 X 320 Segate
7200.10) and 90MB/s writes.

>  I was thinking of also cutting up recordings ( dont mind losing ) and
>  videos ( need some redundancy or backup )
>
>  Thoughts, recommendations?

I would use storage groups and mytharchive for the stuff you want to backup.

John