[mythtv-users] AM2 Motherboard with PCI slots galore

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Feb 14 13:01:46 UTC 2008

>  Since I have 4 capture cards, a serial port card, and an IDE controller
>  card, I need to have those 6 slots.

Sorry, I can't find you anything like that. The best I can do is 5 slots:
http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/motherboards_d/ASRock/AM2NF3-VSTA/
http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/motherboards_d/Jetway/M2GT6-PTD/

Perhaps you can lose the serial port card. I have seen serveral USB
serial port emulators. For example:
http://sewelldirect.com/usbtoserial.asp

I've never looked into the details, so I don't know how transparent it
is, whether it works under linux, etc, but it's worth looking into.
They are relatively inexpensive (I believe I've seen them for $6 or
so...probably on ebay). And going forward, it's probably only going to
get harder to find motherboards with lots of slots, so you might have
to migrate away from the PCI cards anyway.

Actually...I should have asked this first, but how many serial ports
do you need? If just one, you are aware that most motherboards still
have a single serial port header, right?

--
Ron