[mythtv-users] OT: Can we expect to reap some benefits from Google Android?

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 03:50:46 UTC 2008

> If you want an extremely small, extremely low-powered and completely
> silent pocket sized device to carry around and watch tv, try a Nokia
> N810.

What I really want is an extremely small, extremely low-powered and
completely silent box to sit next to the TVs in my living room and
bedroom, preferably one that is capable of at least 720p when
required. It seemed from the article that the TI model they were
showing off was somehow capable of that.

I really couldn't give a rat's ass about a portable device. What
interests me is the posiblility of doing SD and HD playback with a
device (connected to a dedicated BE) that has a minimal footprint, no
noise, no moving parts, and which draws its power from a 12V or 9V
brick.

I'm thinking that if TI can do this with existing chips, and if the
specs are open, then it isn't impossible.

I'm not imagining something the size of a phone to watch HD content
on. I'm imagining something the size of, say a Tolstoy novel into
which you can plug an HD set, an audio amplifier, and a CAT5 or 6
cable, and which has either internal or external support for an IR
receiver. In short, a frontend for your livingroom that can stream HD
from your backend with no noise and absurdly low power consumption.

I have a dream today.