[mythtv-users] new user with Mediacenter PC

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Feb 13 16:26:59 UTC 2008

> On Feb 13, 2008, at 2:31 AM, pibi wrote:
>
>> hi !
>> I am from Slovenia and this is my box
[deletia]
>> Any suggestion or warning about configuration (forget the price, I
>> am looking for quality)
>>

> Get a second hard drive. look for something small, in the 80-100gig
> range... split it into a couple partitions. Make one of them just for
> the database. Put your OS and database on that drive. Use the other
> solely for storage. It'll speed everything up.

    This is a good idea. However, the key thing is to avoid putting
more than one high activity item on the same disk. You really are
trying to avoid RECORDING to the same drive you're running your database
on.

    You can still use your "main" drive for bulk storage.

    Get as big of a drive as you can manage. Even if you don't put
avi's and mp3's on the such a "main" drive, it will always be handy
for storage.

    A drive bay/sata port is a terrible thing to squander.

[deletia]