[mythtv-users] I'm not sure how to troubleshoot my TV tuner card...

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 11:45:25 UTC 2008

On 13/02/2008, Topi Hukkanen <topi.hukkanen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nope, I don't see it.
>
> How do I know if I have permission problems?
>
> I don't have to do all these weird modprobe things, do I?
>
> Thanks.

It's a long time since I did this but your dmesg output looked OK to
me so mayvbe you don't need to modprobe any drivers.

Have a look at /dev/dvb and see what's in there.  There should be a
frontend0 with a bunch of devices inside.  If there's not then you
probably have the wrong driver installed and you'll need to do some
reading and modprobing.

If the frontend devices do exist, what user permissions do they have,
compared to the user you're running mythtv-setup as?

You could try running mythtv-setup as root to see if the card shows
up, though I'm not sure that running mythtv-setup as root is
recommended, so maybe you don't want to actually set the tuner.

If your problem does turn out to be permission related then how you
solve it depends on the linux distribution you use.  On Fedora it's a
udev issue.  If you're using one of the mythtv installs (MythDora etc)
then I'd assume it's been sorted for you.

HTH