[mythtv-users] Question for Chicago Mythtv ers

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 05:29:20 UTC 2008

> >So yes, the OP either need an STB or
> > needs to give up on ESPN, Discovery, History, TBS, and all the other
> > stations he's paying for.
> >

> That's really all you get from an HDHomerun?  I thought more channels were
> uncrypted, i thought they only encrypted like HBO, pay per views,
> whatever...

As I understand it, and I never did any recording over firewire, is
that with a firewire enabled box you can get all the standard cable
channels plus the unencrypted HD or digital channels. You're still
using the STB to decode the encrypted digital channels like ESPN etc.

With the HDHomerun, however, you only get the unencrypted digital
channels. For me this is the locals plus a few more distant network
affiliates and PBSs (I get the Gary PBS station on the HDHR for
example) plus the other few channels that are unencrypted digital like
C-Span and C-Span2. I think I get one of the MTVs on the HDHR but
that's no great shakes for me.

With a limited budget your best bet is probably going to be the serial
IR blaster. You can build one yourself with parts from RadioShack or
you can order one for pretty cheap -- $12 for single blaster, $23 for
a two-headed blaster:
http://www.irblaster.info/?gclid=CI_LwK62wJECFQINPAoduQOFCQ

This will require some tweaking with lircd which can be frustrating,
but it can be made to work. There are a number of good resources on
how to set it up, and the wiki is definitely a good starting point.