[mythtv-users] AppleTV with Linux

Jeremy Green jaggroups at brownout.com
Tue Feb 12 18:56:02 UTC 2008

> On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 06:41:14PM -0500, Scott D. Davilla wrote:
>>> This is a really close price point and has enough horsepower that it
>>> should run anything you want.  A friend of mine has one and hasn't
>>> had
>>> much trouble with it as a frontend.
>>>
>>> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ASL100-UD360A-R&cpc=HPM
>>
>> 64 bit dual core AMD Athon procesor at 2.2GHz --> that's good
>> integrated graphic w/ nvidia 6150 --> that's good
>>
>> The Acer web site list a 3800+ instead of the 3600+ so I'll bet this
>> is a close out of the previous version.
>>
>> This seems pretty good for the price. It's refurbished but that's not
>> really a bad thing.

I have one of those (from Computer Geeks even).
It was clearly a return (previous owners profiles weren't even deleted
from Vista).  It was actually my first interaction with Vista.  I
promptly erased it...
It works great as a frontend.  I as previously using a different
system as a frontend/backend and I moved it into my basement and am
now using the little acer as a frontend.  Just make sure that you have
the powernow modules installed so that it can adjust the CPU
frequency.  Otherwise the thing sounds like a jet engine.  Whatever is
controlling the fans also can't seem to adjust them to a steady RPM,
they seem to cycle up and down which is really annoying.  That being
said, the frequency on mine spends most of it's time around 1 ghz and
it is virtually silent.  Quieter than my replayTV at least...

                                                      -Jeremy