[mythtv-users] Help in playing hdtv

Mark Hutchinson mark at onnow.net
Mon Feb 11 21:19:11 UTC 2008

Juergen Sachs wrote:
> Am Montag 11 Februar 2008 21:27:28 schrieb Brad DerManouelian:
>
>>> I am running mythtv trunk version an try to get hdtv running
>>> smoothly. First
>>> I have to say, that until running the trunk version (I had v0.20 fixes
>>> before) hdtv livetv was impossible. Now it is playing, but with a
>>> very "jittery" picture and skiped frames.
>>>
>>> I do not know if it is a problem of my hardware configuration:
>>> Gfx: GeForce 7300 SE with native nvidia driver
>>> CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6320  @ 1.86GHz
>>> Ram: 2GB
>>>
>>> So I think it is not too bad. But when I run "top" while playing a
>>> livetv I
>>> see it is displaying about 100% till 140% for mythfrontend. So I
>>> guess I
>>> reached the limits :-(
>>>
>>> Mythfronend is running as a normal user.
>>>
>>> So the question is if my hardware is not powerfull enough to play
>>> hdtv, or
>>> if
>>> I have to tweak my config.
>>>
>>> Looking in the documentation did not show me a special configuration
>>> hint.
>>>
>>> So maybe someone here has a similar config and can give me some
>>> advice ?
>>>
>> I would start by looking at your xorg settings. Which nvidia driver
>> are you using? Do you have:
>> Option "Use Events" "True" in your device section? If not, give that a
>> try.
>>

> I did not have this option in my device section. So I added the option and
> restart the x server (init 3 -> init 5) same problem.
> Now it plays smothly for about half a second, the stops, then resumes, then
> stops... But picture quality is brilliant :-)
>
> But still my cpu is nailed to 100%. Ok this is only 50% of the overall cpu
> power but I think it is still to much.
>
> I am using the gfx driver from nvidia, but do not know the exact version if
> this matters.
>
> Maybe my gfx card is to weak for the job ?
> Any more tips ?
>
> Juergen

I just saw this come through in mythtv-commits.  Could it be a solution?

----

    Author: janne
        Date: 2008-02-11 20:36:22 +0000 (Mon, 11 Feb 2008)
New Revision: 15918
   Changeset: http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/15918

Modified:

   trunk/mythtv/configure

Log:

enable ffmpeg-pthreads as default

The spread of dual core machines and MPEG4 AVC in HD resolution
makes default user experience much better with multithreaded decoding

-------