[mythtv-users] NAS with MySQL

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Feb 11 15:41:20 UTC 2008

On Feb 11, 2008, at 7:20 AM, Roy Lofthouse wrote:

> I'm thinking of getting a NAS box and was wondering how many people
> are using this in their Myth setups?
>
> What I'm really after is one with MySQL support so the myth database
> can go on there too.. is this possible? It would be good to be able to
> view mythweb while the master server is offline.
>
> I was thinking of getting one of the QNAP boxes or building one and
> using Freenas (does this support MySQL?)
>
> Cheers

Myth uses too many MySQL updates while it's recording to have any sort
of acceptable performance via NAS. This is just a guess since I've
never tried it, but people have reported problems while recording to
the same drive as their MySQL drive (not all have problems with this,
but some have including myself). Slowing down MySQL transactions even
more due to network latency would almost guarantee failure. :) Even
doing a mythfilldatabase brings my backend almost to a complete halt
until it's done. Frontend can't connect or anything due to the high
MySQL usage.

However, I am intrigued that there are companies selling a NAS box
"with MySQL support". What exactly does that mean? MySQL runs natively
on the NAS box? You are able to write mysql tables to the NAS box?
Isn't that ANY drive connected in any way you please?

-Brad